In An Accident? Get Your Questions Answered by Canadian Collision

Get Peace of Mind – Get Answers!
If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle collision, you probably have several questions, especially if it’s your first one. In an effort to better educate our customers, Canadian Collision has assembled this list of accident questions for your peace of mind. Should you not see the answer to your specific question listed here, please feel free to contact us and speak directly with one of our friendly, knowledgeable staff members across Alberta!

Q. Can I pick the shop where my car is repaired?
A. Yes, absolutely! While your insurance company may suggest a shop, the final choice is always up to you. Taking it to a licensed, qualified shop such as Canadian Collision is important. Keep in mind that it is not your insurance company that warranties the repair work on your vehicle. Rather, it’s up to the auto body shop that does the work. All reputable shops will warranty the quality of their work.
Q. Where can I obtain a damage sticker?
A. Please visit your nearest police or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) station to complete an accident report and obtain a damage sticker for your vehicle.
Q. Do I need a damage sticker?
A. Current Alberta legislation states that if you are involved in a motor vehicle collision and the damages exceed $1,000-2,000, you must file a police report and obtain a damage sticker prior to having your vehicle repaired. If you are unsure if the damages to your vehicle exceed that amount, please contact a Canadian Collision representative to book your free estimate today.
Q. What is the difference between a claims appraiser and a claims adjuster?
A. A claims appraiser is the person who will assess the damage to your vehicle and prepare an estimate, while a claims adjuster is the person who will handle all other aspects of your claim, such as confirming the loss details, speaking with other parties and insurance providers, and arranging rental vehicles.
Q. How do I obtain a claim number?
A. Your insurance company will assign a claim number when you report your accident to them. Your claim number is all Canadian Collision needs to begin your repair process.
Q. What is a deductible?
A. A deductible is the amount you have agreed to pay in the event of a loss. Your policy premium is calculated based on the amount of your deductible.
Q. Why do I have to pay a deductible if the collision was not my fault?
A. The deductible applies to your claim, regardless of who is at fault for the collision. Where information on liability is clear, your insurance company may make the decision to waive your deductible. However, if the other party does not carry valid insurance or there is a dispute in liability, your deductible may not be waived.